California Chemical Tank Leak Prompts Evacuation of 40,000 Residents

Tens of thousands of Southern California residents have been ordered to evacuate after a chemical storage tank leak raised fears of a potential explosion

Justin Tomlinson

Editor-in-Chief, Mora Discover

2 sources
California Chemical Tank Leak Prompts Evacuation of 40,000 Residents

A chemical emergency in Southern California has forced about 40,000 residents to evacuate their homes after a leak was discovered in a chemical storage tank. The incident, which occurred on Friday, has left the tank at risk of exploding. Firefighters monitoring the site on Saturday recorded a worrying increase in the temperature of the hazardous substance, which rose from 25°C to 32°C.[1][2]

The affected area of Garden Groves is located directly next to Anaheim, which is home to Disneyland's two theme parks. Despite the massive evacuation orders affecting tens of thousands of nearby residents, the Disneyland theme parks were not under evacuation orders as the Memorial Day holiday weekend got underway.[2]

Related stories

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
The Guardian

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk

OpenAI CEO and president found not liable for breaking contracts made with Musk when founding the startupA jury ruled in favor of Sam Altman in the culmination of a long and bitter legal battle that pitted the richest person in the world against a leader of the AI boom.The federal jury in Oakland, California, found Altman, OpenAI and its president, Greg Brockman, not liable for Elon Musk’s claims that they unjustly enriched themselves and broke a founding contract made with Musk when founding the startup. Continue reading...

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
guardian

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal

The US president said he called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday so that peace talks could continueFull report: Trump claims planned attack on Iran postponed after Tehran makes new proposal to end warIran’s army has warned it would “open new fronts” against the US if it resumes attacks on the country amid reports that Donald Trump is weighing up restarting military operations in Iran amid an impasse in negotiations.“If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it, with new...

Trump claims progress on Iran deal regarding Strait of Hormuz
Trump claims progress on Iran deal regarding Strait of Hormuz
The Guardian

Trump claims progress on Iran deal regarding Strait of Hormuz

The US secretary of state suggested a deal could be announced ‘in the next few hours’ but cautioned it wouldn’t be a ‘final’ agreement Full report: Trump says peace deal with Iran ‘largely negotiated’ with strait of Hormuz to open In Lebanon, the civil defence agency said early on Sunday its regional facility in the southern city of Nabatieh had been destroyed by an Israeli strike . The Directorate General of Civil Defence said the building had collapsed and a large number of vehicles and equipment had been damaged by a “direct hit in a hostile Israeli strike”. <a href="https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2026/may/24/iran-deal-strai