EU Reaches Deal to Implement US Trade Pact Following Trump Tariff Threats

European Union lawmakers and member states have finalized an agreement to enact a year-old trade deal with the United States ahead of a July 4 deadline set by President Donald Trump

Justin Tomlinson

Editor-in-Chief, Mora Discover

2 sources
EU Reaches Deal to Implement US Trade Pact Following Trump Tariff Threats

European Union lawmakers and member states reached a deal in the early hours of Wednesday to implement a trade pact with the United States that has been pending for nearly a year. This legislative breakthrough follows intense pressure from the White House, as President Donald Trump had threatened to introduce a series of new tariffs against European exports if the agreement was not finalized and put into effect by a July 4 deadline.[1][2]

The trade deal was originally established in July of last year but had remained stalled until the recent negotiations between EU member states and lawmakers. Under the specific terms of the arrangement, a majority of European goods exported to the United States will now be subject to tariffs of 15 percent. In exchange for the implementation of these measures, the European Union has agreed to scrap existing levies on the majority of imports arriving from the United States.[1][2]

Related stories

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
The Guardian

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk

OpenAI CEO and president found not liable for breaking contracts made with Musk when founding the startupA jury ruled in favor of Sam Altman in the culmination of a long and bitter legal battle that pitted the richest person in the world against a leader of the AI boom.The federal jury in Oakland, California, found Altman, OpenAI and its president, Greg Brockman, not liable for Elon Musk’s claims that they unjustly enriched themselves and broke a founding contract made with Musk when founding the startup. Continue reading...

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
guardian

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal

The US president said he called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday so that peace talks could continueFull report: Trump claims planned attack on Iran postponed after Tehran makes new proposal to end warIran’s army has warned it would “open new fronts” against the US if it resumes attacks on the country amid reports that Donald Trump is weighing up restarting military operations in Iran amid an impasse in negotiations.“If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it, with new...

Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy
Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy
alternet

Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy

Anonymous sources speaking with Zeteo report President Donald Trump is getting increasingly angry with his failure in Iran and is looking to do something — anything — to move things along, regardless of the violence or the consequences.“Two senior Trump administration officials and two other sources briefed on the situation tell Zeteo that Donald Trump has grown increasingly frustrated by the state of peace talks with Iran, and the president has ordered an acceleration of the Pentagon’s preparation for a new phase of his war in the Middle East,” said Zeteo writers Asawin Suesaeng and...