IS-Linked Families Reportedly Leave Syria for Australia Amid Rising Unemployment

A second group of Islamic State-linked families has reportedly departed Syria for Australia, while the domestic jobs market faces a surge in unemployment driven by inflation and the war in Iran

Justin Tomlinson

Editor-in-Chief, Mora Discover

3 sources
IS-Linked Families Reportedly Leave Syria for Australia Amid Rising Unemployment

According to reports, a second group of families with links to the Islamic State has departed Syria and is on its way to Australia. This repatriation marks the latest development in the ongoing situation, which is being monitored closely alongside other major global and domestic events.[1][2][3]

Meanwhile, the Australian economic landscape is facing challenges as the national jobs market is hit by a surge in unemployment. This rise in the unemployment rate is reportedly being driven by the combined pressures of inflation and the war in Iran.[1][2][3]

Related stories

Released Australian activists arrive in Istanbul after Israeli detention
Released Australian activists arrive in Istanbul after Israeli detention
The Guardian

Released Australian activists arrive in Istanbul after Israeli detention

Eleven Australians were among pro-Palestine activists detained by Israel from the Global Sumud flotilla. Follow today’s news liveGood morning and welcome to Friday, we’ve made it. It’s Nick Visser here again to take you through the day’s news. Here’s what’s on deck:The 428 activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla, including 11 Australians, have now been released by Israeli authorities after they were detained earlier this week. One of those Aussies said they were in custody for about 80 hours and denied food and water, “but it is nothing compared to what happens to Palestinians...

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
The Guardian

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk

OpenAI CEO and president found not liable for breaking contracts made with Musk when founding the startupA jury ruled in favor of Sam Altman in the culmination of a long and bitter legal battle that pitted the richest person in the world against a leader of the AI boom.The federal jury in Oakland, California, found Altman, OpenAI and its president, Greg Brockman, not liable for Elon Musk’s claims that they unjustly enriched themselves and broke a founding contract made with Musk when founding the startup. Continue reading...

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
guardian

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal

The US president said he called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday so that peace talks could continueFull report: Trump claims planned attack on Iran postponed after Tehran makes new proposal to end warIran’s army has warned it would “open new fronts” against the US if it resumes attacks on the country amid reports that Donald Trump is weighing up restarting military operations in Iran amid an impasse in negotiations.“If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it, with new...