Melbourne Woman in Israeli Custody After Gaza Aid Flotilla Interception

Neve O’Connor is being held by the Israeli government after attempting to reach the Gaza Strip as part of a protest flotilla carrying humanitarian aid

Justin Tomlinson

Editor-in-Chief, Mora Discover

2 sources
Melbourne Woman in Israeli Custody After Gaza Aid Flotilla Interception

Neve O’Connor, a resident of Melbourne, is currently being held in the custody of the Israeli government. Her detention follows an attempt to reach the Gaza Strip by boat as part of a protest flotilla. The mission was organized with the intent of carrying humanitarian aid to Palestinians in the region, challenging the existing maritime restrictions through a direct sea route.[1][2]

This recent journey marks the second time in a month that O’Connor has attempted to reach Gaza by sea. She has stated that she was previously taken from an aid boat by Israeli forces during a similar mission last month. Despite that prior encounter and her subsequent removal from the vessel, she chose to set off again with the flotilla to continue the protest and aid efforts.[1][2]

O’Connor remains in Israeli custody following the interception of the protest vessel. The flotilla she joined is part of ongoing efforts by activists to deliver supplies to the Gaza Strip via maritime routes. Her current status and the duration of her detention have not been further detailed by the authorities involved in her capture, though she remains under government control.[1][2]

Related stories

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
The Guardian

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk

OpenAI CEO and president found not liable for breaking contracts made with Musk when founding the startupA jury ruled in favor of Sam Altman in the culmination of a long and bitter legal battle that pitted the richest person in the world against a leader of the AI boom.The federal jury in Oakland, California, found Altman, OpenAI and its president, Greg Brockman, not liable for Elon Musk’s claims that they unjustly enriched themselves and broke a founding contract made with Musk when founding the startup. Continue reading...

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
guardian

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal

The US president said he called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday so that peace talks could continueFull report: Trump claims planned attack on Iran postponed after Tehran makes new proposal to end warIran’s army has warned it would “open new fronts” against the US if it resumes attacks on the country amid reports that Donald Trump is weighing up restarting military operations in Iran amid an impasse in negotiations.“If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it, with new...

Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy
Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy
alternet

Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy

Anonymous sources speaking with Zeteo report President Donald Trump is getting increasingly angry with his failure in Iran and is looking to do something — anything — to move things along, regardless of the violence or the consequences.“Two senior Trump administration officials and two other sources briefed on the situation tell Zeteo that Donald Trump has grown increasingly frustrated by the state of peace talks with Iran, and the president has ordered an acceleration of the Pentagon’s preparation for a new phase of his war in the Middle East,” said Zeteo writers Asawin Suesaeng and...