UAE identifies Iraq as origin of drone attack on Barakah nuclear plant

The United Arab Emirates identified Iraqi territory as the launch site for drones that targeted its Barakah nuclear power plant on Sunday, pointing toward Iranian-backed militias

Justin Tomlinson

Editor-in-Chief, Mora Discover

2 sources
UAE identifies Iraq as origin of drone attack on Barakah nuclear plant

The United Arab Emirates announced on Tuesday that the drones used to target the Barakah nuclear power plant on Sunday originated from Iraqi territory. Although no group has officially claimed responsibility for the strike, the UAE's assessment indicates that Iranian-backed Shiite militias were likely responsible for the incident. Prior to this formal announcement, Iran and its regional proxies had already been suspected of involvement in the attack, which targeted the country's nuclear power plant.[1][2]

This incident is part of a broader trend of drone attacks targeting Gulf Arab states, which have increased since Israel and the United States began a war against Iran on February 28. These developments highlight the ongoing regional tensions and the frequent use of unmanned aerial vehicles by militias in the area following the start of the conflict in late February.[1][2]

Additionally, the UAE's Defense Ministry reported that three other drones targeted the country over the last two days. Officials did not elaborate on the specific details, origins, or results of those incidents, but the reports contribute to a growing list of aerial attacks faced by the country in recent days.[1][2]

Related stories

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
The Guardian

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk

OpenAI CEO and president found not liable for breaking contracts made with Musk when founding the startupA jury ruled in favor of Sam Altman in the culmination of a long and bitter legal battle that pitted the richest person in the world against a leader of the AI boom.The federal jury in Oakland, California, found Altman, OpenAI and its president, Greg Brockman, not liable for Elon Musk’s claims that they unjustly enriched themselves and broke a founding contract made with Musk when founding the startup. Continue reading...

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
guardian

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal

The US president said he called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday so that peace talks could continueFull report: Trump claims planned attack on Iran postponed after Tehran makes new proposal to end warIran’s army has warned it would “open new fronts” against the US if it resumes attacks on the country amid reports that Donald Trump is weighing up restarting military operations in Iran amid an impasse in negotiations.“If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it, with new...

Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy
Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy
alternet

Trump administration officials report rising frustration over Iran policy

Anonymous sources speaking with Zeteo report President Donald Trump is getting increasingly angry with his failure in Iran and is looking to do something — anything — to move things along, regardless of the violence or the consequences.“Two senior Trump administration officials and two other sources briefed on the situation tell Zeteo that Donald Trump has grown increasingly frustrated by the state of peace talks with Iran, and the president has ordered an acceleration of the Pentagon’s preparation for a new phase of his war in the Middle East,” said Zeteo writers Asawin Suesaeng and...