US Navy Chief Says $14B Taiwan Arms Sale Paused Due to Iran War

Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao announced a pause on the multi-billion dollar sale to ensure the U.S. has sufficient munitions for the Iran war.

Justin Tomlinson

Editor-in-Chief, Mora Discover

2 sources
US Navy Chief Says $14B Taiwan Arms Sale Paused Due to Iran War

Acting U.S. Navy Secretary Hung Cao announced during a Senate hearing that the United States is pausing a $14 billion arms sale to Taiwan. Cao explained that the military is "doing a pause" on the major weapons transfer to ensure that the U.S. has sufficient munitions for the war with Iran.[1][2]

The remarks from the Navy chief come as U.S. President Donald Trump has given mixed signals regarding the sale. The pause on the $14 billion deal highlights the administration's focus on securing munitions for the Iran war.[1][2]

Related stories

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk
The Guardian

Jury hands victory to Sam Altman and OpenAI in battle with Elon Musk

OpenAI CEO and president found not liable for breaking contracts made with Musk when founding the startupA jury ruled in favor of Sam Altman in the culmination of a long and bitter legal battle that pitted the richest person in the world against a leader of the AI boom.The federal jury in Oakland, California, found Altman, OpenAI and its president, Greg Brockman, not liable for Elon Musk’s claims that they unjustly enriched themselves and broke a founding contract made with Musk when founding the startup. Continue reading...

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal
guardian

Trump halts planned Iran strike following diplomatic proposal

The US president said he called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday so that peace talks could continueFull report: Trump claims planned attack on Iran postponed after Tehran makes new proposal to end warIran’s army has warned it would “open new fronts” against the US if it resumes attacks on the country amid reports that Donald Trump is weighing up restarting military operations in Iran amid an impasse in negotiations.“If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it, with new...

FBI previously flagged San Diego mosque shooter
FBI previously flagged San Diego mosque shooter
The Guardian

FBI previously flagged San Diego mosque shooter

Officials seized guns from Caleb Vazquez’s father last year amid alarm over teen’s views on mass shooters and Nazism One of the two white supremacist shooters who attacked a mosque in California on Monday and killed three people had already been on law enforcement officials’ radar, according to US media reports. Local officials were so alarmed by Caleb Vazquez’s idolization of mass shooters and Nazism that they seized his father’s guns a year before the shooting, the New York Times <a href="https://www.nytimes.co